Notes et commentaires publiés sur le travail de Denis Duclos

Denis Duclos
Vendredi 12 Décembre 2008

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
Many thanks for your commentary. I am not sure I really got the point you raised. Symptom and syndrom are bound by nature, the first revealing the second, and the second explaining the first.
The problem in such cultural issues is that there is no other way to prove the existence of a syndrom except collecting symptoms. The 'werewolf complex' is now more than ten years old, but if I am still thinking it is a good tool for understanding the United States (even if the terrorist has replaced the serial killer), it is precisely because there is a theoretical frame at work. The theory is not complex : as the 'ultimate' version of the western democratic societies, the US culture emphazises both individual freedom and machinery of law. And there is a competition between the two, inflating at the same time the individual as a potential monster and the machinery as a potential 'matrix'. But this is a 'local' theory', which only makes sense if you locate it within the frame of a broader one : western cultures are organizing themselves around a specific conversation, concerning the rule of law. But each 'participant' in this conversation interprets differently the same object. For instance, the Germans tend to promote an association between law and national community, the Italians oppose law to local rules, and the French always recall the 'Power' that is supposed to enforce the law. Only the English are posing the law in a way the Americans will 'push' to an extremity. Now consider the 'criminal cultures' of all these countries : they reflect their different positions in the conversation : the English have made many steps in building up th 'monster' character (which comes from too much liberty, threaten by totalitarianism), the French are full of pity regarding the poor and mad people who kill, when they have no chance to shake the Authorities , The Germans (who have been excellent at producing altogether real collective monstrosities) are now trying to prove in tv movies how nice and friendly are the policemen in charge of calming down weirdos. And the Italians like to show you that -in Naples at least- cops and maffia guys collaborate tightly to help the city remaining as humane than ever. But the theory goes even farther : when the western countries are obsessed with freedom and law, the eastern ones are more interested with identity. Remember that the chinese ideograms are shared by most of peoples around China (despite the different oral tongues), which drives everybody there to search what being 'is represented' through writing. The question : 'who are you ?' is probably more important there than 'how are you disciplined in order to remain free ?'. I don't have much room to develop the idea, but you could probably find a lot of symptoms illustrating the 'chinese syndrom' (not the nuclear one !), in eastern cultures. How to be oneself (and being it in a specific place in the cosmos) is probably their main question, beginning with the corean way of becoming more westerners than the real ones (in some of their movie thrillers, it is striking). I could finally evoke the case of nomadic cultures which put the emphasis on pure freedom, the necessary principle of order being included in the freedom of the chief of the group. You know enough of the american culture to aknowledge that it is a principle of which destiny is to enter in conflict with the 'balance principle' which rules America. Indeed, imposing one's rule to one's descendants is quite the contrary of living free because of a common law, democratically set up. Godfather is not Matrix, and heroes that defend the Father's honour are simply terrorists in the view of the opposite culture.
Of course, all this is very simplified, but something remains : there is probably a hidden conversation running about what is the difference between a heroe and a monster. And beyond the difficulty of the matter, it is probably something like a global conversation emerging there...
 Debra
Mercredi 19 Septembre 2012

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
I read "Le Complexe du Loup Garou" in French many years ago, and liked it a lot.
One of my favorite... stories remains "Beowulf", and a little stroll in Amazon town a few years ago allowed me to observe that "Beowulf" has been magically resurrected (à juste titre), and is enjoying great appeal. (Great style in "Beowulf", too.)
In a matricial culture which continues to erode... sexual difference (I am a woman by the way), I find it rather logical that "Beowulf" would have great appeal to young (and old) men.
There is a great.. hero in it, and a fantastic monster, too. And.... I don't think that there is a woman in it, come to think of it. (But then, when I go to the hammam once a month, I don't particularly want to find men there, either...)
As for the danger of young men devoloping a "feminine" sensitivity to oppression, well, the matricial culture guarantees that men AND women (indifferentiated...) are becoming more and more sensitive to oppression, fantasized or other. Haven't you noticed that the market for oppression has exploded (on the victim side, at least) ?
One of my favorite treatments of this theme remains "Macbeth", which I have been reading actively for the past 35 years. I highly recommend it for exploring why "être né d'une femme" is one of the most difficult tasks facing a man in his life (Macbeth cannot come to grips with this. Incidentally, it is not particularly easy for a woman to come to terms with carrying a man child in her body, either..) It is one of William's most depressing plays... Important for elaborating on the Werewolf theme, in my opinion.
... I think we are heading toward rocky days (but no apocalypse, no apocalypse), with so much hypersensitivity around us.
 Debra
Mercredi 17 Octobre 2012

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
Hmmm... I see no indication that "Macbeth" concerns Macbeth's resistance to his repressed homosexuality, nor do I believe that hysteria is principally related to repressed homosexuality either.
Lady Macbeth, on the other hand... abdicates her feminine AND maternal attributes in a moment where she gets... carried away ? (but we all get drunk on words from time to time, don't we ?), and breaks down her husband's inhibitions. (But then, we are in a private enough context here for me to say that most men whom I have talked with admit that their wife ? concubine ? exerts an extremely powerful influence over them.
My mama used to say... " a son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter's a daughter for the rest of her life. In my observation, these words are true of most of us, all of us sons and daughters...)
"Macbeth" is set in the middle of a civil war. During a civil war, it is a good idea for men.. to tote guns, and be able to use them (at least during past civil wars).
There are not many women running around on the battlefields during civil wars. The.. mothers are supposed to be elsewhere, SAFE and SECURE.
I think that in the war context, many people's inhibitions get swept away.
Which brings me to modern U.S.A., and the interminable civil "wars" against... poverty, drugs, etc etc.
tss, tss. during my most pessimistic readings of Freud, I will agree with him that the identity trap (individual or national identity) is based on exclusion of an element that is hated. Creation of an enemy.
Perhaps it is best for the enemy to be an.. external one, and not an internal one ?
Are the constant "wars against drugs/terrorism/poverty", etc, examples of civil war in the U.S. ? Internal enemies, and not external ones ? And when you wage war on "poverty", how do you avoid taking aim at the poor, for example ?
Elsewhere on this site, you have mentioned the problem of turning the planet into one big.. inside, with no outside. (No more wilderness, for example.)
As someone who is very interested in linguistics, I would say that when... "foul is fair, and fair is foul", well, the consensual meanings that keep society vaguely purring start collapsing.
That's when.. society goes berserkr.
After all, a handful of serial killers is exponentially less monstrous than.. a berserkr society, I think you will agree...
Modern technology certainly gives us the capacity of.. multiplying our monstrosity, I must say.
On motherly love...
I think that the increasing indifferentiation of sexual roles is disastrous for men and women.
Elsewhere here I have said that the sexual difference is the paradigm that organizes our perception of all differences.
Is the, um... SOCIAL SECURITY (same expression in the U.S. and in France, right) model exclusively a NANNY state ? (hum.. that's interesting that nannies get dumped on in this pejorative expression, and not mummies..)
What is the difference between Daddy's protection and Mummy's ?
(Well, it's even harder to tell when Mummy dresses like a butch bus driver, and is out all day driving, I think.)
Last year I read David Caley's book of late conversations with Ivan Illich, and was amazed at Illich's perspicacity, and flattered to notice that we were thinking in the same direction : Illich starts with the Good Samaritan story and shows how progressively the institution of the Catholic (universal...) Church outsourced charity by setting up institutions to take care of one's.. neighbor. Early on the Church.. fathers were saying "the corruption of the best engenders the worst." That's language for you, right ?
Impersonal institutions do not do the same things as individual flesh and blood people.
A social worker is not... a mother. There is that pesky mediation there, somehow. BETWEEN. The institution is behind the scenes.

To return to the beginning : I am not keen on referring to Macbeth's repressed homosexuality, because for me, the homosexuality problem ? is one that we have forged to eliminate "le même" : the same. Indifferenciation.
In other words, to the extent that Lady Macbeth abdicates her FEMININE and maternal nature, she thus shuts the door for Macbeth on any meaningful virility.
Right after her speech where she magically announces that if SHE had sworn to do as Macbeth has sworn (and he has not sworn), she would dash out the brains of her newborn child while it was nursing.
That, you will agree, is a monstrous violation of a very powerful taboo, and that violation totally undoes Macbeth.
Lady Macbeth's physical disappearance in the play is the linguistically logical result of her words which... ELIMINATE HER as a woman.
Her speech murders her, you might say. She takes some time to disappear, certainly, but she has set into motion the events that will make her disappear.
The vision I have of the play is a much more pagan, implacable vision than yours, I think.
"Les mots mènent la danse".
If you follow the trail of the words all the way through the play, you will see the logic.
See why I believe it might be a good idea to resurrect fate, and destitute.. hubris ?

Debra
Mardi 23 Octobre 2012

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
I got to thinking about the berserkr young male the other night, and this incident came to mind :

Two years ago, one summer morning, I walked past my favorite little field (I take a daily.. Kantian ? walk, and muse and admire the lake near our home), one where a Portugese immigrant woman raises a clutch of chickens each year to stock up her freezer.
And that morning there were no pretty little chickens.
I was very sad, and curious.. WHAT happened to all those pretty little chickens ? Usually they disappeared one at a time.
I found out the answer to the enigma two weeks later when I met her on the road.
With a crestfallen face, she told me that one night she had fatefully forgotten to shut her chickens up and the next morning she came out to find bits and pieces of chicken littered all over the field, and a groggy, fuzzy... Macbeth, oops, no, badger, with blood on his chops, sleeping off his hangover in the chicken coop.
Needless to say, Badger got the same treatment as Macbeth, as well he should have.
I am willing to stick my hand in the fire that that badger was a young male one.
But she or I would have had a hard time interviewing him to find out if his mother was a social worker. ;-)

I mentioned elsewhere on this site that I am not a great fan of "Totem and Tabou", with Father getting murdered so that brothers can carry on.
Haven't you noticed that that.. Phantasy ? paradigm ? is a reformulation of the justifications for democracy ? A culture of "brothers", over Father's.. DEAD body ?
I call that a rather convenient Freudian.. MYTH.
Don't get me wrong. I love myths. Read a lot of them when I was a child. I still like them, and am a great fan of classical Greek tragedy.
But I really don't like contemporary democracy's myths...
Not at all.
These days I tend to find them graceless, vulgar, and coarse.
 Debra
Mercredi 28 Novembre 2012

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
Ma réponse précédente était dévorée par la machine... Deuxième tentative qui ne sera sans doute pas.. identique.
Je ne crois pas que Mère Blaireau aurait succombé à la même folie meurtrière, en partie pour une question hormonale. Mère Blaireau n'est pas inondée de testostérone comme Jeune Blaireau.
Je ne vois pas d'incompatibilité entre l'affirmation de soi dans un acte destructeur (l'acte qui pose un sujet est invariablement une destruction, en raison de l'immaturité motrice de l'humain. La création ne devient possible qu'avec la maîtrise qui s'ouvre dans la motricité) et une avidité incoercible PULSIONNELLE. Un débordement pulsionnel pour employer le vocabulaire poussiéreux. L'impossibilité de trouver le cran d'arrêt pour ARRETER, mettre fin. C'est fascinant de s'interroger sur ce qui permet au vivant de commencer, et de s'arrêter. Ce n'est pas... évident.
Pour la.. GESTION de l'instinct meurtrier blaireaux, je me réfère à une de mes auteurs préférés, Anna Freud, dans "Le Moi et les mécanismes de défense".
L'article qu'elle consacre à l'identification altruiste est très édifiant.
La société occidentale a érigé une tour de Babel pour gérer l'instinct meurtrier, dans le ruissellement continu de films, livres, mettant en scène... l'instinct meurtrier blaireau, afin de permettre à Jeune Blaireau (oops, jeune humain) de se sentir Jeune Blaireau sans quitter son.. fauteuil, et en appuyant sur des boutons au lieu de partir patauger dans la forêt, même de se salir les mains avec du sang, par exemple. Très.. commode, vous me l'accorderez. Ça fait des "couch potatoes", et pas des.. chasseurs... Ugh.
Alors, pourquoi y a t-il certains qui ne se satisfont pas de cette... gestion si bien agencée (par personne en particulier, je m'empresse de le dire...) ?
Freud avance cette impondérable de la constitution humaine.. Je crains qu'on ne parvienne jamais à.. expliquer (et à plus forte raison... à prédire) qui sera submergé par ses pulsions, et qui ne le sera pas.
Toutes les théories les mieux intentionnées, et les plus.. gestionnaires du monde sont vouées à l'échec devant l'imprévisibilité... constitutive du vivant. Je crois.

Nous sommes un petit nombre à nous lasser de la.. domination de la soi-disant pensée démocratique, et ne pas vouloir nous y soumettre comme une.. fatalité.
Votre énumération des composantes de la civilisation occidentale laisse de côté un substrat important : les nombreux tribus (ici, j'admets volontiers ma très grand ignorance).. barbares qui ont laissé.. leurs mots, leurs coutumes dans notre civilisation au delà de l'influence judéo-chrétienne/greco-romaine. Que la Grande Eglise Catholique a récupérée pour son compte dans un syncrétisme.. pluriel ? pour employer un de vos mots. Que les Eglises protestantes ont voulu... évacuer dans leur fanatisme ? purificateur et révolutionnaire ? (Je simplifie à outrance, mea magna culpa.)
Cette vision du monde perce dans le poème "Beowulf", par exemple.
Le regain d'intérêt pour "Beowulf" témoigne, à mon sens, d'une tentative de faire revivre un complexe (sens freudien) de.. virilité (nouvelle forme de la métaphore paternelle ?).
Comme, peut-être, Wagner a essayé de sauter par dessus l'héritage judéo-chrétien/greco, surtout ROMAIN dans sa réécriture de la mythologie.
Alors.. on peut toujours crier "réactionnaire", mais de toute façon, la culture/les cultures sont.. réactionnaires ou réactives. Il n'y a rien de nouveau sous le soleil... Le.. progrès ininterrompu s'apparente à un sexe en érection constante.. à un moment donné, le plaisir s'évanouit et l'acte lui-même devient impossible. Mauvais plan.
Pour le.. fantasme ? que dans l'Antiquité les pères tuaient les fils, et les fils tuaient les pères à gogo, bon.. j'ai déjà dit que la société romaine (et non pas... néolithique) rendait la succession entre père et fils très problématique. Selon Paul Veynes, et je veux bien le croire. Heureusement que nous avons d'autres racines dans notre culture, tout de même. Mais même encore, la société française (et occidentale...) reste très fortement imprégnée de la pensée romaine, ne serait-ce que par le biais de nombreux.. MOTS que nous parlons tous les jours. (Oops, j'aurais du dire, les nombreux mots qui.. NOUS PARLENT tous les jours...)

Le Judaïsme (que je connais en tout cas..) et son hérésie chrétienne font de la vie humaine une valeur absolue.
Cela revient à dire qu'il y a un domaine où les avantages n'ont aucun inconvénient...un domaine où on aurait un endroit.. sans aucun envers...
Personnellement, je n'ai pas encore vu un domaine de la vie où les avantages n'ont aucun inconvénient. Et vous ?
Plus nous tenons à conserver la vie humaine A TOUT PRIX (en évacuant la mort...partout...), plus nous creusons notre tombe.. collective.
Rendre la mort.. IMPENSABLE dans notre civilisation, c'est créer une.. forclusion ? terrifiante au niveau de la société elle-même.
Nous savons ce qui se passe avec la forclusion, hein ? un retour.. dans le réel qui prend la forme d'une conflagration.
Vous êtes très optimiste pour le monde plus nombreux...
Pas moi. Fondamentalement.. une pessimiste. Comme le vieux Freud, et Quoeleth, d'ailleurs...
Pourquoi les individus sont.. PLUS écrasés par les hiérarchies familiales que par le... rouleau compresseur sociétale ?
Certes, l'écrasement par la hiérarchie familiale a un visage plus... incarné, plus.. HUMAIN ? que l'écrasement par le rouleau compresseur sociétal, mais.. cesse-t-il pour autant d'être un écrasement parce qu'il a été déplacé ? Quand les choses tournent mal.. (et elles tournent mal, les choses, à un moment où un autre...), il est... commode d'avoir un Louis XVI sous la main, ou même.. un Dieu le Père pour couper la tête, ou hurler sa fureur, plutôt que de décrocher le téléphone pour faire le numéro unique (inique ??) de Pôle Emploi et tomber sur un pauvre bougre/une pauvre bougresse qui vous dit qu'il/elle ne fait que son job.. vous m'accorderez cela ? Dans le contexte actuel, je prévois de réelles difficultés pour couper la tête à qui/quoi que ce soit. C'est.. FRUSTRANT, vous ne trouvez pas ? (Se souvenir à tout moment, et se répéter plusieurs fois par jour, afin que ça rentre vraiment dans l'esprit : "nous sommes dé zanimaux, nous sommes dé zanimaux".)
Pour moi, le hic est dans cette opposition qu'Illich pointe : le transfert vers des institutions publiques de missions humaines fondamentales.. privées, comme je l'ai déjà dit, d'ailleurs.
Et puis... à force de crier de manière pusillanime que nous (les fils et les filles.... sanglants sans pouvoir supporter la vue d'une goutte de sang...) avons triomphé de Dieu le Père, nous ne percevons pas comment nous sommes en train de transformer nous fichues.. institutions dans un très grand TEMPLE, où le pauvre bougre de Pôle Emploi est un prêtre.. laïc. C'est plus fort que nous...
Quitte à.. choisir sa religion... je préfère que la mienne soit moins bureaucratique et plus... belle.

Je ne comprend pas votre propos sur la culpabilité incoercible qui nécessiterait une répression morale formidable pour rendre possible la vie sociale.
La culpabilité n'est-elle pas l'intériorisation individuelle d'une répression morale et sociale déjà ? En quoi faudrait-il réprimer la culpabilité ?
Le corps social s'accommode très bien de la culpabilité individuelle, non ? C'est.. tout bénéf pour lui ?
La culpabilité est une des formes les plus.. persistantes de notre héritage religieux.
Mais... nos "démocraties" modernes sont encore en pleine révolte contre notre héritage religieux.. Les citoyens n'aiment pas être.. culpabilisés. L'effet de l'égalitarisme est de mener les gens à attaquer la culpabilité comme un frein à leur... liberté, vécu comme la possibilité de réaliser leurs désirs infantiles (sens freudien).
La revendication.. infantile d'une liberté sans contingence dans une réplique du paradis à la Disneyworld rend toute forme d'agressivité menaçante (la sienne, comme celle d'autrui), et peut-être, nécessite la projection de l'agressivité sur des produits culturels qui permettent à l'individu dans un camisole de force ouaté de s'identifier à des... bouc émissaires ? élus ? pour le délester de ce qui l'effraie et l'insupporte au plus haut point EN LUI ? Ce dont il ne veut rien savoir ?
Dernier point : la haine... est une force qui cherche à accomplir la séparation d'extérieur/intérieur... elle n'a vraiment pas bonne presse, vous avez remarqué ?
C'est la démocratie qui conduit à créer un ennemi externe, ou c'est la constitution même d'un groupe social quelconque qui conduit dans un processus de fondation simultanée, à constituer l'identité inclusive en.. excluant ? Dixit Freud... Le problème pour la pensée devient colossal quand le/les lieu(x) EXTERIEURS en viennent à manquer...et qu'il faut en trouver... d'autres pour faire l'affaire...

En passant, merci de m'avoir traité de talmudiste. Un très grand compliment que j'accepte avec plaisir...
 Malko
Vendredi 25 Août 2017

Version imprimable
[Ignorer]
Voter réponse est un peu longue et j'avais du mal à le lire jusqu'à la fin. Toutefois, je trouve que c'est une belle réflexion et je vous remercie d’avoir partagé ici votre point de vue. Cordialement !

Votre nom :

Votre email :
 (non publié)

Votre vidéo sera affichée en dessous de votre post.

Menu